The Lamplighter subdivision was developed on a seventy-eight acre tract of farm ground at the southern edge of the village limits of Towanda. There are a total of 98 building lots, a tennis court lot and park site with a pond for fishing and swimming.
The location, about six miles northeast of Bloomington/Normal, is ideal for families desiring small community living close to the shopping and services that Bloomington and Normal offer.
The Walnut Grove subdivision is located 1 1/2 miles northeast of Towanda on old Route 66. Many of the eleven homes in the Walnut Grove subdivision were built by the Barton Corporation between 1955 - 1958.
Barton was the contractor who was also building Route 66 during this time. He purchased land along Route 66 and during the winter months (Dec-Jan-Feb) he had his foreman and crew build homes in what is now Walnut Grove subdivision.